Businesses Need to Plan for Winter Liabilities Now
Businesses need to plan for winter liabilities now. With winter just around the corner, it is important to review your company’s snow and ice removal procedures. Slips, trips and falls related to snow and ice on your property are a concern for customers as well as employees. In fact, there were 42,480 workplace injuries in 2014 relating to ice, sleet and snow, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (2016). Not only can employers be held responsible for injuries, but they can also suffer financially if employees are out for an extended amount of time, ultimately losing revenue for an injury that could have been prevented.
Plan for winter now to lessen the likelihood of injuries caused by snow and ice:
• Contract now with a reputable company for the coming season’s snow and ice removal.
• Shovel sidewalks prior to employee arrival times.
• Use ice melt, especially in shady areas.
• Post caution signs for slick spots and places where black ice may be present.
• Place non-skid mats at affected entryways.
Does your business have a plan for winter? Contact Rettino Insurance today for free review of your premise liability coverage. We will even shop your policy to get you a better rate.